The MRA R&D Grant program provides funds for research, development and testing of SAR systems and equipment. It is intended to promote better understanding of mountain rescue systems and technology.
- John Sohl, Weber County SAR, (chair)
- Art Fortini, Sierra Madre SAR
- Andreas Schmitt-Sody, Albuquerque Mountain Rescue Council
- Ken Zafren, Alaska MR
- List of Current & Recent Grant Awards
Grant proposals are accepted for amounts up to $3,000 and are due by April 30th. If the grant committee has unspent funds, applications for those funds can be submitted at any time during the year. Proposals may be emailed to John Sohl. Proposals will be evaluated by the grant committee on the following criteria:
- Qualification of principal participants
- Applicability to mountain SAR problems and issues
- New and innovative or continuing research and development and testing of SAR systems and equipment.
- Justifiable costs for equipment and material
- Knowledge of related work and literature
Please see more details on grant eligibility and requirements in the grant policy document (pdf format).
The grant committee also has a load cell and associated data acquisition electronics available to lend. Applications to use the load cell may be separate or combined with applications for funding. Load cell proposals are also due by April 30th.